Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
About Barclays in the US
Barclays offers corporate and investment banking and credit card services in the US. Our 10,000 US colleagues are located in offices across the country, with headquarters in New York City. In 2017, Barclays announced plans to create a world-class campus in Whippany, New Jersey, for our Technology, Operations and Functional teams in the US. Other principal locations include Delaware, Nevada, Ohio and Maine.
About Compliance Technology
Compliance Technology is a business transformation department within Operations & Technology. We service the Compliance and Financial Crime Functions within Barclays. We are a global team of c400 colleagues situated in the major location hubs: London, New York, Whippany & Pune.
Compliance Technology: Transforming the way we deliver innovative business solutions to our clients. Our ambition is to own end to end accountability for the business solutions we provide. We will achieve this by becoming a world class technology team focused on business outcomes.
Overall Purpose of role
For the Electronic Communications (eComms) Surveillance programme, an experienced Data Scientist in required to help with rolling out the next generation machine learning, natural language processing (NLP), cognitive computing platform. This would be the second Data Scientist hire for the team and this capability will grow over time catering to Surveillance demands.
Your Role (Key Accountabilities)
· Key specific accountabilities. The Data Scientist is responsible for development of NLP models that will predict language of interest in a given data set. The Data Scientist will utilize a vast set of tools, including technical programming skills, advanced statistics, and a deep understanding of the business objectives.
· Stakeholder management and leadership. In addition, the Data Scientist will be required to work closely with the Tech Lead and Engineers along with Business Analysts and business users. This person should be able to provide other team members with feedback and insight to ensure the business objective is met.
· Decision making and problem solving. Experience with innovatively solving business problems, determining patterns and insights within structured and unstructured data, coming up with analytics strategies and solutions is required.
Average Salary - $118,000 - $143,000
· 5 + years Expertise in statistical analysis environments such as R, MATLAB, SPSS or SAS, BI tools like Spotfire, relational databases as well as Big Data (Hadoop based) data mining frameworks is required.
· Desired candidate will have a Ph.D. or Master’s Degree in operations research, applied statistics, data mining, machine learning, physics or a related quantitative discipline.
· Strong working knowledge of deep learning, machine learning and statistics.
· Experience in using Python or R
· Experience with Apache Hadoop, HBase, Hive, HDFS, and Sqoop.
· Experience with Java / J2EE, JDK
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards.
To be considered for this role, click on the apply button now.
Barclays Values & Diversity
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds. It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.