Summary & Functions
At Schoolhouse Electric and Supply Co. (SECO) we’re designers, makers, and creative thinkers, and since 2003 we have handcrafted custom lighting and lifestyle products that transcend time and trend. Just as important as the products we make are the people we work with. They are at the heart of everything we do. We’re always looking for hard-working, innovative people to join the Schoolhouse team.
The Retail Manager is the go-to person for all things Schoolhouse East Liberty. The primary role of the Retail Manager is to develop an incredible Pittsburgh team while maintaining our retail space. Key responsibilities include the creation and management of a positive, safe and efficient workflow throughout the building. This role will review team efficiency on all levels and always be seeking opportunities to engage and develop staff and improve product and process quality. This position embodies the Schoolhouse brand, is excited to jump on opportunities and willing to take things to the next level through hard work and innovation.
- Collaborates with Leadership to roll out Schoolhouse initiatives in Pittsburgh.
- Regularly communicates with cross-functional partners to ensure streamlined execution of policies, procedures and business practices.
- Execute visual merchandising plan within company standards to ensure displays are on brand, well-stocked, clean, and visually compelling.
- Understand, support, and suggest innovations for best procedural practices.
- Leads and motivates team-members in a positive, productive and respectful manner, ensuring appropriate teamwork, work focus, safety, productivity, and quality.
- Responsible for workforce management activities including:
- Attendance tracking and assigning No-fault Attendance Policy points
- Time-off request approval
- Injury response and reports
- Corrective actions / dismissals
- Performance evaluations and reviews
- Ensures team members are aware of and comply with company policies and procedures.
- Actively encourages and supports the skill development potential of each team member.
- Maintain a customer & employee facing presence that is positive, helpful, and inviting
- Develop and continue to build knowledge of all our products, policies, and services
- Be a problem-solver, seeking opportunities to help everyone who enters Schoolhouse
- Understand and embody the Schoolhouse brand in appearance and service
- Accurately process sales, change orders, exchanges, or returns.
- Coordinate building maintenance, utilities, and all other related needs.
- Manage store and product inventories.
- Efficiently and accurately use Microsoft Office programs, SAP, Shopify, website, and payment authorization systems.
- Tracks and provides daily and weekly, key performance measurements of customer service, productivity, quality and on-time delivery.
- Continually evaluates processes for relevancy and improvement opportunities.
- Monitors readiness of sales floor, ensuring work areas are kept clean and organized throughout the shift to support our brand, safety, and productivity.
- Monitor and maintain workflow to ensure efficient operation.
- Modify procedures as needed.
- Investigate inventory variances and operational problems; diagnose and resolve problems affecting inventory, materials, and shipments.
- Maintain quality of operations by working with employees and to assure that the Pittsburgh location of Schoolhouse Electric meets quality guidelines and goals.
- Develops relationships with Pittsburgh community. Uses communication skills to keep the pulse of the city and local community and completes thoughtful community outreach and engagement.
- Special projects as assigned or required
Competencies & Qualifications
- Teamwork – Be trustworthy. Treat others with respect. Help others learn and grow.
- Communication – Be timely and concise in relaying information. Be aware of different communication styles and adapt to greater understanding.
- Change – Be nimble, never cynical. Embrace challenges and change.
- Judgment – Make sure to include the right people in the right conversations.
- Time management – Use your time wisely and efficiently.
- Self-Review – Always look for ways to grow and improve.
- Innovation – Continually review systems and processes for better ways to reach our goals.
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must become an expert within facility departments
- Ability to train and develop others
- Able to work the same hours as their employees.
- Able to move quickly, comfortable walking, standing, bending and lifting up to 50 pounds
- Excellent at effectively managing multiple competing priorities
- Be positive, empathetic, honorable, and self-aware
- Be an optimistic problem-solver, seeking opportunities to help everyone who enters Schoolhouse
- Be thorough, accurate, and timely
- Be dependable, on-time, and able to work within agreed scheduling needs for the store
- 3+ years in a Management Role
- Bachelors in Business Management, additional years of work will be considered in lieu of degree.
- 2+ years working in a retail environment preferred
- Previous experience with MRP/ERP systems preferred
- Previous experience with Point of Sale software preferred
- Must be available to work weekends
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Ability to occasionally lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Ability to move easily and safely up and down ladders
- Ability to be on your feet 8+ hours per day
- Be able to walk, stand, bend throughout 8 to 10-hour shift if needed
- Routine lifting, pushing or pulling of materials from 10 to 40 lbs.
- Routine exposure to heat and cold
- Seated computer/desk work.