When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one gets to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social-emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise.
To support our teachers, we provide them with weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child.
History Teacher – High School Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning
- Ensure lessons are rigorous, clear, measurable, and aligned with Common Core State Standards
- Develop and use a variety of assessments (e.g., exams, written work, and public performances) that frequently measure student progress toward the school’s content and skill standards
- Maintain an organized classroom environment that facilitates learning
- Ensure that students master grade-level standards
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Work with teaching assistants and/or teaching fellows to provide an effective classroom environment and address the needs of individual students
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline, and refuse to tolerate classroom disruptions
- Develop clear evaluation criteria and distribute to students prior to assignments
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
- Opportunity to work Saturdays during test prep season – additional compensation is provided
History Teacher – High School Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements:
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years teaching experience is required
- 2 – 5 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- New York State certification for Grades 7 - 12 in History required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
We offer competitive salaries with performance-based bonuses, and a comprehensive benefits package.
HCZ is an EOE.
Job Type: Full-time
- history teaching: 2 years
Required license or certification:
- NYS Teaching Cert: Grades 7-12